I'm pleased to present one of our finest productions on the topic of unschooling. An important thread running through this conversation: the benefits of unschooling in terms of relationship with self, with family and with people in the community.
Pam Laricchia is the creator of the blog livingjoyfully.ca
- an amazing, well-organized resource for people exploring how to live and learn without school. She is also the author of several books on unschooling, including The Unschooling Journey: A Field Guide
. Pam began unschooling with her three children back in 2002 and she has continued her enthusiastic exploration through blogging, podcasting and presenting at conferences.
PAM'S UNSCHOOLING BACKGROUND
* Pam's new Book What is Unschooling? The mission of her site.
* What does unschooling mean to you? We focus on relationship with self and with others.
* Pam's Background, her personal deschooling process, her family's transition to unschooling, what did her goals look like when she started?
FOR PEOPLE EXPLORING OR STARTING UNSCHOOLING
* What are the important foundations of unschooling?
* How to nurture Curiosity, Being Open to Our Child's Wonder
* How to foster an engaged mind, main three characteristics of real and effective learning (from your article Curious and Engaged)
CHALLENGES/CONCERNS ABOUT UNSCHOOLING
* the process of deschooling
* How to develop and maintain the patience and proper mindset for unschooling
* Mediating conflicting needs, between parent and child/children
* Plus A Listener question - Thanks Jahaira!
"The main idea that comes to mind is the topic of TRUST. As a parent, you want your children to have everything they need to thrive, and it's scary to leave it to "chance". It's scary to fully TRUST that they will learn what they need to learn of their own volition and of their own desire..."
Shows On the Benefits of Unschooling and Alternative Education:
[PODCAST] #544: Peter Gray (Part Three) – A Future of Self-Directed Education
[PODCAST] #101: Unschooling Liberty – The Halldorsons and the Unschool Bus
[PODCAST] #208: Whole Parents – With Dayna Martin
Please Support School Sucks
We do cool things! Thanks to your support.
School Sucks is one of the longest running liberty-minded podcasts on the web, and the only one completely devoted to the issue of education (versus public school and college). Your support keeps the show going and growing, which keeps us at the top of the options for education podcasts and leads to new people discovering our work. Please help us continue to spread this important message further!
Thanks for visiting this page. Before you do anything, please bookmark and use this link for your Amazon shopping: Shop With Us
One-Time Donation Options:
Donate BITCOIN CASH
Support Us On PATREON
Help incentivize our production! Pledge $1 per content item and access dozens of Patron only audios and videos.
Join the A/V Club
If you're looking for more School Sucks content, the A/V Club option grants you access to a bonus content section with 400+ hours of exclusive audio and video. If you are a regular consumer of our media, please consider making a monthly commitment by selecting the best option for you...
|A/V Club - Basic Access - $8.00/Month
||A/V Club - "Advanced" Access - $12.00/Month
||Sigma Sigma Pi - "Privileged" Access - $16.00/Month
BITCOIN CASH 1AmqLVxjw3Lp9KT5ckfvsqfN2Hn3B1hCWS